Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bow Valley | Calgary Adventure Photographer


It has been long enough since I got out with another adventure photographer that it was hard to motivate myself to head out this morning. Another 5am start, but as I was getting close to Exshaw in the Bow Valley, the sun started to come up and I could feel the excitement build. If even for a chance to get one or two images, I was beginning to feel the energy.

I parked across from the Graymont Plant, geared up and scrambled quickly up the South ridge of Loder Peak, hoping I could get to the lower shoulder in time. About 35 minutes later I was on the ridge about 500 feet below the lower peak and just about at alpine level. I didn't have to wait long as within minutes the sun crested the hills to the SE and I was treated to a very quick color display.

I decided that even with some ideas in mind I was going to once again immerse myself in what was happening and just be observant. It is a cool feeling to understand the techniques for different shots and multiple ways to compose an image and to free my mind enough to see things differently. I am in no way a pro (in this new to me type of photography) but the more I go out the more I experience things in a new light.

What I have found to be consistent though is that in these places early in the morning or late at night when the light is good, there is always something to see that makes an awesome image.