Thursday, January 27, 2011

Yucatan Sessions | Adventure Lifestyle Photographer



I just got back from a week of Kite Surfing photography in the Yucatan and I am pumped about the images we were able to create!. I had a great time near Progresso (Mexico) with two dear friends of mine; Andy and Loretta. I stayed with them on the beach and any chance we had good wind, we went out.

The first day of shooting I tested out a semi-decent waterproof housing and after a bit of modification I was able to make it work. Andy is an amazing rider and was able to switch up between many types of airs and tricks and only managed to (almost) take my head-off once. The work it took 100m out in the ocean was worth it for these shots.

The second shooting day we went to the Chuburna Puerto where the riders had good NE wind and could ride behind a wave break on flat water. I was getting some decent stuff when the sun started to set and the colors started to come out. After some dramatic sunset shots we mounted a strobe on the wave-break and captured Andy launching nearly 40 feet or more against the dying sky. Awesome.

The lifestyle down there is so relaxed and it was a great break from our north American winter. The whole trip was fantastic and our riders were the real-deal and put on a spectacular session. I am looking forward to going back!