Thursday, August 18, 2016

Summer Update | Canadian Adventure Photographer

As crazy as things can get here in Alberta these days I have to say I have had a pretty good summer so far. Some quality time with the family managing a Christian camp we work with in the Waiperous Valley, Lots of white water kayaking and the usual great clients we work with.

Foothills Magic making a few last low precipitation super-cells before the end of the season.

Normally at this time of the year I would be finishing up a 2 month season of storm chasing but not this year. As dramatic as the weather has been it is not like it was a few years back. The weather is always changing and so is my life and I just do not have the time for all the cool things I like to do. It is nice to look at storms on radar and chat with some of the old team, maybe warn a few people but it is just no longer my focus.

Couple campers get a devotional from their LTD at Gull Lake Camp.

Every year I get to spend a day at Gull Lake Camp and add to the library of images for this amazing place. Always so great to spend time with Steve and see the impact God is having on these campers and LTD's. So much energy and fun, I always look forward to it.

Treffrey Deerfoot (great grandson of the Deerfoot Trail namesake) dancing at EAP.

Stampede is big around here and as much as I like to spend the week away from the city I cover one event for a great client in the city. Eighth Ave Place and their event management group had me back for another year to photograph their mid-day stampede party which had the Blackfoot Medicine Dance crew back as well as country singer George Canyon.

Bow River fly-fishing guide Ryan Lees catching the last rays of sun along the Bow at Policeman's Flats

It has taken some time but I am back working on my own project to produce some new and conceptual adventure lifestyle stock and working with two very different but interesting sport fishermen on the Bow River. There is something about fishing that is almost medicinal and I think it may be one of those outlets where you can quickly shed the stress of the daily grind and lose yourself in "the nature". I can see myself dropping the camera and throwing a few casts myself.

I hope you have had a good summer and it hasn't sped by to fast. If you are feeling like your missing out then you might want to jump on some of the fine days we could have left before the cubs are back in school and the days begin to cool.